Saturday 5 July 2014

Tobias' Kokos bollar, (coconut balls) vegan, gluten free, sugar free

 Kokos bollar are a wonderfully calorific treat from sweden that I have grown up with, they consist of butter, sugar, chocolate and a little bit of booze, basically all the naughty things that eventually contribute to a kardashian bottom, as if this little ball is not bad enough a bakery would usually serve this spherical treat with lashings of whipped double cream. Don't get me wrong I am not about to bad mouth one half of my culinary roots, it's naughty food sure, but every once in a while it can be a treat. 
 My current situation is that I am fighting an uphill battle against the bulge, even more unfortunate is that I live with two absolute freaks of nature who can pretty much each anything that they desire and never gain an ounce. It is a difficult thing to eat healthily in a house full of cake loving midnight scoffers, especially when I love food in all its guises, I live to eat not eat to live. 
I really felt like I need to come up with a little sweet treat containing only natural good foods, something that you would not require a lot of in order to appease a sweet craving, but something that is so delicious that even my sugar addicted family would also appreciate, ridding myself of all temptation and the dreaded kardashian bottom! I decided to adapt this Swedish recipe, making it vegan for a start, no dairy, no gluten, no sugar (sounds scrummy??) I have to say that everyone who has tried them so far has all said exactly the same thing, it tastes like a snickers bar, and it really does, now i'm not telling all you dieters out there to make these and eat a batch, but if you feel temptation is looming pop in one of these kokos bollar and you are good to go. Kids love them and even my cake-a-betic husband does too.

5 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter 
1.5 cups of rolled oats 
5 tbsp of agave nectar. This can be subbed with honey but it would not be vegan anymore.
a pinch of salt 
3 tbsp of cocoa powder
10 plump dates remove the pips please
1 tbsp of date syrup or you can substitute this with extra agave 
1 tbsp of left over black coffee 
1 cup of desiccated coconut 

Place all of the above ingredients into a food processor apart from the coconut and blitz until is looks like a dough, roll into small balls and then roll in desiccated coconut. Thats it!




No comments: